Blog 6

Explore how using technology can provide real-time engagement and include answers to the following. 

• How does social media help engage in community-based communications?
  • How does social media challenge community-based communications?

As discussed in this week’s reading, public communication has continued and evolved as we participate more and more in technology-based discussions (Clark & Aufderheide, 2013). With the use of technology, public conversations have become much easier due to the simplicity of quick instant-messaging. Organizations can now inform the public much quicker and easier, and community groups can brainstorm and participate in decision-making processes, all through the use of technology. Schiavo (2016) defines community as “a variety of social, ethnic, cultural, or geographical associations,” giving examples such as schools, neighbourhoods, or work environments (p. 1). Considering this definition, community-based communications can encompass a great deal of different people and goals. Utilizing social media can not only enhance the experience of those participating in community-based conversations, but as Issa & Kommers (2013) article points out, social networks can reduce certain costs associated with face-to-face meetings. For example, finding or potentially renting a meeting spot can be time-consuming and costly, and providing snacks or other authenticating factors can also become expensive. Facilitating conversations online can not only diminish said costs, but also save the time and effort of those participating.

Although social networks may decrease the costs of in-person connections, it also can create a few challenges. Engaging community members and maintaining their participation, as well as overcoming differences among participants, can both become obstacles when facilitating community discussion (Davis, 2011). Davis’ (2011) book explains that people with different cultural beliefs or socio-economic statuses may have experienced life differently, and therefore, may have very different opinions. Therefore, coming to an agreed-upon conclusion while considering every participant’s perspective may not be easy. Additionally, using social media also involves risks including privacy, security, ethics, and cyber-attacks (Issa & Kommers, 2013). Due to these risks, guidelines should be created and enforced to ensure appropriate behaviour in online conversations

Within community engagement, are there extended rules from the employer that you should consider? 

• Are there cultural sensitivities that should be considered?
  • What should your PLN say about you as you communicate to the public via social media or communication tools?
  • What does it mean to balance your professional expectations and your personal beliefs in curating a PLN for the purpose of career development?

When participating in online community engagement, certain rules and guidelines should be followed to guarantee a respectful, safe environment. Davis (2011) proclaims that the first principle of engagement is to know your community, which involves understanding the community’s culture, and their experiences. The book explains that if people within a community aim to understand one another’s diverse perspectives, then they will be able to accept a range of different solutions for community concerns. I believe this is a beautiful way to perceive diversity – by associating it with an opportunity to have multiple solutions. Davis (2011) also outlines being clear in your purpose or goal when participating in community engagement. Your purpose can either be broad or specific, but it should be noted that a broader topic is less manageable than a specific one. Establishing a clear goal will make it easier to stay on track in your conversations, as well as ensure everyone is abiding by the guidelines in the manner that they speak. For example, in Mike Russell’s story that he shared during his interview with Jesse, by him commenting “*cough*” on the Reddit post, his language had a clear goal that also aligned with the guidelines of his profession.

Lastly, Davis (2011) believes forming relationships is necessary in order for engagement to occur. The book argues that when meaningful relationships are created, “positive change is more likely to occur” (p. 48). I find this statement to be true for many aspects of life. For example, even with professors I find that I work harder if I feel that my professor respects me and genuinely wants to see me succeed. Simply demonstrating basic respect for community members will change the outcomes for the better. Further, in Angie Kermer’s interview with Jesse, she recounted how other perspectives from her coworkers helped her to evolve as an employee, as she learned from them and their experiences. She also expressed her goal for herself to become a better listener, which the more she does, the better she learns. This point resonated with me because I think listening to others especially in the workplace can of course give us opportunities to learn, but it also demonstrates care and respect towards the people you are working with, which, according to Davis (2011), will cause positive change.

Clark, J., & Aufderheide, P. (2013). A New Vision for Public Media – Open, Dynamic, and Participatory. In J. Pooley, L. Taub-Pervizpour, & S. C. Jansen (Authors), Media and social justice (pp. 55-67). New York: Palgrave.

Davis, S. M. (2011). Principles of community engagement. Washington, DC. Retrieved from https://digitalrepository.unm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=prc-books

EDCI 338 (2020, Oct 18). A01 Kermer, A [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KOxy_fMSM&feature=youtu.be

EDCI 338 (2020, Oct 18). A01 Russell, M [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH_UiTWYYwU&feature=youtu.be

Issa, T., & Kommers, P. (2013). Social networking for web-based communities. International Journal of Web Based Communities, 9(1), 5. doi:10.1504/ijwbc.2013.051292

Schiavo, R. (2016). The importance of community-based communication for health and social change. Journal of Communication in Healthcare, 9(1), 1-3.

1. xiaoqiwang

You’ve shared some important points in this post Erica! One of the points I liked in your post is that online communication can reduce the costs of face to face communication. In today’s current set-up in education, classrooms, laboratories, and libraries are no longer used. This means that compared to normal set-up, universities are currently consuming less electricity. This means that the expenses of universities in their facilities are lessened. Lastly, I also liked the idea that communications done within online communities should be regulated. Regulation is needed especially in instances when certain topics are contents are considered to be sensitive.

2. Mike

Hi, Erica:
    By reading your blog, I have to admit the advantages of online communication: people can not only reduce the cost of face-to-face but also be benign to the development of society by completing their daily work without leaving the house. Every day, the road is no longer congested and wakes up every day. Don’t worry about the traffic jams, just turn on the computer to complete the work in time. Online communication still needs to be improved. Whether it is network information security or supervision, I believe it will be resolved gradually over time.

3. chunlin

Hello Erica,

Your post is quite clear and informative. I liked the way that you used a few examples in your post to explain your ideas, which is persuasive and effective. In my post, I have mentioned that social media can create a platform for people to engage in communication and build a strong connection to them; however, my new thinking after reading your post is that it can also diminish the cost and help people to save a lot of time and efforts on participation as well. That’s really good point! Also, I agree that people should follow certain rules and guidelines when participating in online community engagement in order to guarantee a more respectful and safer online environment. In my opinion, people should not only follow the extended rules, but also need to realize that respecting to other people’s cultures and beliefs is quite important in online interaction.

Chunlin