Blog 8

1. What is media literacy?

Media literacy can be described as the capability to recognize different forms of media such as TV, internet, newspapers or radio, and comprehend the messages they’re conveying (Common Sense Media, n.d.). As technology continues to evolve, people will need certain skills to access, use, produce, analyze, and evaluate information effectively – media literacy is the education needed to achieve this. Learning and understanding media is not merely memorizing concepts or specific media data, instead, it is learning what questions to ask about the media you are viewing (Center for Media Literacy, n.d.). As Julie mentioned in her interview with Jesse this week, these questions can include, who’s the sender, what is their mode of intent, who does this profit, and who’s the target audience (EDCI 338, 2020). By asking the right questions, individuals can confirm the accuracy of the information they are receiving through media and make their own judgements if something is reliable or safe.

2. Why is it important?

Being literate in all thing’s media is becoming more and more important as more and more aspects of our daily lives are transferred to technology. Take job applications as an example; before internet technology, applications were taken into job locations by hand, whereas now, most application processes are handled online or via email. An article by Partnership for 21st Century Skills (2009), details the importance of youth learning the knowledge and skills associated with media literacy in order “to succeed in work and life” (p. 1). In addition to using skills to succeed, as Julie mentioned, we are all media producers (EDCI, 2020). If we are all producing media in some way, then we ought to take the time to understand how to analyze and use it. Further, Trilling (2012) illustrated the ever-growing need to be able to access, use, and evaluate online sources as many resources are now found online. Even in school, students need to be able to determine what sources are reliable versus unreliable for research papers or assignments.

3. Why is it dismissed?

Media literacy is often dismissed due to fear. Seeing as many parents grew up without the same internet access available today, the recent innovation of technology has caused a wave of fear among parents who have become worried for their children. This fear has stemmed from a lack of familiarity and knowledge of technology, and that is exactly why media literacy is so important. By learning about, and understanding different forms of media, these outlets become less unfamiliar, and more acceptable. The centre of media literacy highlights the undeniable presence media has in today’s society and urges people to become literate instead of simply trying to avoid media all together (Center for Media Literacy, n.d.). Considering how many forms of media there are, and how commonplace they have become, escaping media all together has become practically impossible. You are exposed to media even by going for a dental appointment or to buy groceries, as magazines are often left out for patients to read or placed on a shelf for consumers to purchase.

4. Why should you aim for varied views but factual consensus in your PLN?

Everyone should aim for varied perspectives to ensure they are not being biased. As Julie discussed, news is a business and we as people like to be affirmed, so we choose media outlets that suit our perspectives and opinions. When we selectively choose certain outlets to obtain ‘news’ from, we often cheat ourselves from learning all the facts. The media frequently takes one small screenshot of a large story and manipulates it to look a certain way. The problem with this is that it leaves out context and details that may change the story completely. By coming to a factual consensus among your PLN, one can ensure all facts and perspectives are analyzed effectively, and the whole picture or story is being seen. A factual consensus will mean that all information is being viewed and considered instead of just portions.

Center for Media Literacy. (n.d.). What is Media Literacy? A Definition…and More. Retrieved from https://www.medialit.org/reading-room/what-media-literacy-definitionand-more

Common Sense Media. (n.d.). What is media literacy, and why is it important? Retrieved from https://www.commonsensemedia.org/news-and-media-literacy/what-is-media-literacy-and-why-is-it-important

EDCI 338 (2020, Nov 1). A01 Smith, Julie [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T9RghwJlI&feature=youtu.be

Partnership for 21st Century Skills. (2009). P21 Framework Definitions. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED519462.pdf

Trilling, B., & Fadel, C. (2012). Digital Literacy Skills. In 21st century skills: Learning for life in our times. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

1. xiaoqiwang

Hello Erica! Impressive work! I would say that your cohesive writing and use of direct and simple language made me enjoy reading your work. With regard to the fear of media, I would say that that has always been the case with the adults. Before, when televisions became popular, the adults fear that television shows promote violence. However, I have read an article that the link between television shows and violence is not really well-established. In this regard, maybe the same thing is happening now with social media. Because of this people should be encouraged to learn media and understand the cause of their fear.

• ericasteph

Hi!

That’s such a great point about adults fearing that TV promotes violence. I hadn’t thought of that, but that’s the perfect generational example of fear of new/unknown things! Thanks so much for sharing.

Erica

2. Mike

Hi, Erica
    Thanks for sharing. The information displayed in your blog allows me to quickly interpret. Indeed, the data age and online media have enabled the public to understand and understand the information of the world more quickly, so the media has become an indispensable way of life in our lives. Therefore, PLN reached a consensus with each other and can clearly understand the truth behind the story, which is a good thing for the public.
    Mike

• ericasteph

Hi Mike,

Yes, I agree – online media helps us receive information so quickly these days! Thanks for sharing.

Erica

3. leahmacdonald

Hi Erica!! I found your blog post this week to be very well written. I think that someone who is not familiar with media literacy would find your blog post to be very educational. The way you’ve explained it is easily understood and I believe that it is a good summary of what media literacy is. One thing that I have been considering regarding media literacy (and I encourage you to give it some thought as well) is how online safety ties into media literacy! We’ve spoken about safety online in previous weeks and I think it ties in here as well. Overall I think this post was excellent, looking forward to working with you on the group assignment!

• ericasteph

Hi Leah!

Thank you so much. Great consideration – safety for sure ties in, as I think that’s one of parent’s main concerns with their children using the internet. Although I am fully aware of the potential dangers of being online, I think being literate in media can help children and adults better understand the risks, and how to prevent them! Looking forward to working with you as well 🙂

Erica

4. chunlin

Hello Erica,

I think your post is very informative and clear! I liked how you organize your post as well, which is much clearer and easier to read. I agree that the fear among parents “has stemmed from worried for their children”. As Julie said in the conversation, media is a kind of new things to them and they are fearful rather than trying to learning about it. Therefore, in my opinion, educating media literacy will help people have a much clearer understanding of how media works. Also, I liked how you explained the reasons why we should aim for varied views but factual consensus. As you mentioned, it will help people ensure that they are not being biased. The example that you shared about “media takes one small screenshot of a large story and manipulates it to look” is persuasive. Actually, most people like to read this kind of news, so media gives to viewers in order to make money.

Chunlin

• ericasteph

Hi there,

Thank you so much 🙂 I definitely agree with you that educating ourselves in media literacy will help people have a better understanding. Such an interesting topic this week!

Erica

5. Ruby

Very well written, Erica. Media literacy is not anything we can avoid nowadays. I had an experience of communicating with a student’s parents about using online platforms when I had to teach my class remotely a few months ago. The parent was very protective of her child using the the platform and would sign in on his behalf to submit work and participate in group work. It was very difficult for me to monitor the student’s learning and communicate with the parent about trusting the system that we have made for the classes. I wonder how we can help build that trust and understanding of the use of multimedia while respecting those who still endorse traditional ways of learning.